Thursday 11 November 2010

Lomography


My Cali - Using IPhone 4 - Hipstamatic Camera AP
Advertised in Harpers Bazaar Oct '10 - The Best Spent £1.19
Impressed with the detail picked up on the close up.


At the minute I am sourcing a new camera which I can use for one of my photo shoots for my Uni project. The shoot is based around Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll - 1960's style. Sort of like, documentary style images of a Rock 'n' Roll musician but not by using models, It's all about location, detail and being very metaphorical, well that is the outcome I am hoping for :) - Watch This Space!

I have found a really good site through my many hours of browsing the web: Click Me, Which stocks lots of retro, old school cameras(not originals) which require film. I have found some sites which sell original 1950s-1980s cameras, which I would love to purchase but at the moment i can't afford the hit-or-miss experimenting, I want something I know is going to work. I am quite excited over this as I would like to experiment with a bit of film processing myself, not like when I was younger an would just hand my snap and go over to the nice, Max Spielmanns lady in a skirt-suit, go back the next day and VIOLA...a little deck of flicks for me to browse at (mainly of fingers covering the lense! - Mum + holiday camera = very unique photo album)

So anyway I have never tried processing my own film, I have seen it on TV and always thought it looks fun but living In a digital era that is 2010, I tend to let computers, memory cards and printers do all the hard work for me, and don't get me wrong I love the fact things can be as quick and easy as 1, 2, 3 but being in my last year of Uni now, it would be so good to know how to develop my own film roll before I leave, or at least have a go at it :\ 
If I do have a go at this, and all goes a little unexpected, I can always use technology In the aftermath - Scanning the images into photoshop and having a dabble with them could  potentially create something really original. Hopefully I won't have to though as I am going to buy some different types of films which will hopefully give me the right effect I am going for - I'm seeing, black and white, sepia tones, grungy grain lines...Excited,  much! can you tell!? 

Now back to the camera situation, as this is a main priority if I even want to attempt my little project! I have a few favourites from the Lomography website, but have also found a few I like on the Urban Outfitter website - amazing place! I know these cameras arn't exactly the best quality out there, but that is what I am looking for, something with a bit of an edge and not to perfect. So here is my Pick of the bunch which I wanna have more of a look into, and get some feedback off people who already have them hopefully...

No comments:

Post a Comment