Friday 3 December 2010

Model Me...

(Actually wrote on 17th November 2010 - Computer Malfunction!! Damn It...)

So I don't know If I've mentioned before but I live In a little town called Runcorn. Here Is one of many, lovely little descriptions of Runcorn, courtesy of the infamous Urban Dictionary, just to update anyone who didn't know this place existed (not many people do!)

"A town located in the north west of England, well known for it's large number of "chavs" and petty violence and crimes." -
Adam Gahan
(Surprisingly I don't know this person - v.small Town)

To be fair, even though 'urban dictionary' isn't the most reliable "dictionary" in the world, it is the most humorous and has most of the descriptions down to a T. Now I know this is my hometown and most people would be quick to defend a statement of such calibre but, that right there is probably the only way to describe this place from an outsiders point of view! I don't want to offend anybody but seriously, I actually agree with it to some extent - Put it this way, I couldn't live in a worse area for stimulating a creative mind - It's probably the most non-visual place on earth. Don't get me wrong it has it's 'interesting' places but nothing special in my eyes and certainly nothing which screams 'FASHION STUDENTS COME HERE FOR SOME INSPIRATION'.

Anyway, let me cut to the chase! When something big (or little - small town = gossip galore) happens, it is broad casted and everyone will know about it! Which is kind of good/bad for me as I like to do the unexpected of the stereotypical 'Runcornian' (Speaking of which I have actually met a fair few people doing really well for themselves lately) but I must say I am speaking on a stereotypical level at the minute because I don't really have enough reason not to for my liking, the majority of people here just seem to be settling for what they have rather than wanting to better themselves - I hate to see this, I know that there is under-lying talent here!

For example, my sister had a friend in school called Natalie - the same school I also attended - which actually wasn't in Runcorn but she has still lived here all her life. Growing up she was always just my sisters pretty friend to me, and like most girls, they kind of lost touch after college - Natalie went on to University (LJMU - Same as me) and my sister (now 27) went on to buy a house with her long-term partner and got a full time job, I'm sure she wont mind me saying this but I believe that it was such a waste of talent as she is a very bright young lady, but it's never to late and she is looking into this, so I let her off!

To my suprise Natalie actually studied fashion at degree level too, and now owns her own business 'Love Focks' which consists of made-to-measure dresses and also showcases a collection every season, with an array of fantastic designs made and designed by herself and all shows put-together by her own initiative - Seems to me that I was walking around with my head in the clouds before knowing this, somewhat thinking I was better than everyone else for making the 'unusual' decision of going off to Uni to study fashion because In my mind, that type of stuff only happened on TV or in London - and I wanted a piece of that 'stand-out status' for doing something I love right here, apparently I had been beaten to it, and honestly I am really happy for her! She has really flown the flag and maybe drawn a faint line through that stereotypical mind-set I had of most Runcorn Girls. But I still talent like this being shown. 

The 'Love Frocks' Logo - Simple but effective :)
 In my second year of Uni I actually done some work-experience at one of her Fashion Shows, but I was PR'ing for the make-up artist she used - I re-acquainted with Natalie at this show and located her on 'Facebook' to find that she had also been doing a bit of modelling aswel as running a successful business - 'My Sisters Pretty School Friend' all of a sudden became everything I've ever wanted to be. I didn't know this type of success came out of Runcorn to be frank, before I knew all this I was obviously being very ignorant to the fact that, success can come from anyone, no matter where they come from - now I never look at myself as the 'small town girl with a big dream' I just go at those dreams with a complete open mind.

I briefly mentioned before that bad/good news travels fast around here and Natalie gets a lot of media coverage from out local newspapers. This is great for her business as she is actually one of the only people around here, at the minute ;) doing so well in a fashion based career - She is almost like mini-celeb (already pictured on Vogue Online and had soap stars wearing her unique designs) so it is widely broad casted when she does a show, attends an event etc - I think it is fabulous to have the press behind you for so many reasons but me being me and for someone dreaming of being a big success I really am too modest, I'm almost quite shy when it comes to people knowing my business - I feel like a 'bragger' if I do something good and people get an ear full of it, strange - I know but In the last year i have gradually come to terms with the fact that I need this in my life if I ever want to be known - also if I want Runcorn to be known for something other than "chavs" and petty violence and crimes."
So yes, the only way of conquering my modesty was to get myself in the local newspapers for various events this year ;)


Publicity - Miss Runcorn Galaxy 2010 -
Beauty Pageant - Feb 28th '10
 On the 12th Nov I worked at a 'Love Frocks' Fashion Show for the second year now. Only this time I was one of the Models :) Like Natalie I too have always dabbled in the world of modelling - More so since being at Uni and working at Shows - It has made me more eager to get on stage - rather than be hiding out backstage. The way I see It is that, it is experience all around! It is just something that has always interested me from a young age. I have been with many talent agencies but they all seem to be very disheartening at times and always seem to give me a bit of a knock in confidence as they do not bring the amount of work in which I hope for, although I have managed to gain a lot of TV extra work through my current agency which I really enjoy - even though I didn't tell many people when I was going to be on TV for the first time (my modesty still gets the best of me sometimes) I enjoyed people asking me "Did I really see you on TV last night" It can sometimes give a really good buzz to keep things to yourself.  

I really enjoyed modelling at the 'Love Frocks' show last week - my favourite part of modelling - besides the actual show, has to be getting my hair and make-up done! I am a real girls girl when It comes to being pampered so I see it as a real enjoyment, which is nice for the Make-Up artist I think too. Eyes are a big thing for me at the minute, I am obsessed with Twiggy-Esq lashes with bold colour and liner so I was in my elements. The hair also went down a treat with me...BIG BOUFFANTS :) and lots of curls!!

*Me* 
Pre-Lashes & Hair



No comments:

Post a Comment